Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Ariely's way to make me stop cheating

so I am taking this Coursera online course of Dan Ariely - A Beginner's Guide to Irrational Behavior


I am bit behind schedule because only yesterday did I started watching the videos of the lectures from Week 3 and the course is already in its 5th week. I started watching the 1st video and quickly became distracted by Facebook... 

on the topic, Dishonesty, Ariely explains that there is a thing called "fudge factor" and in the middle of the lecture and its explanation he prompted the question, what do you think it means "fudge factor"?.

so, because of this little interruption, I had to stop browsing through Facebook and really think about this concept because I didn't wanted to continue with the listening of the lecture (yes, I wasn't seeing it!) without resolving the question!

and you know what? it worked.
at least I think it did.
I refocused my attettion and saw the rest of the lecture, deeply concentrated on the subjects...

anyhow, for me, the fugde factor is: our "comfort area" for cheating.

pretty self-explanatory, right?

more from this subject here and here


No comments: